Day 12: What My Teaching Will Look Like in the Next Five Years

I envision tremendous changes for me as a teacher within the next five years. My district has implemented a student tablet program this school year and even though I am not significantly impacted by this new initiative now I will be in less than two years as the program increases in scope.

I am excited about this endeavor but I am also nervous because there will be many changes for me and for my students. I envision a near-paperless school day and that is nearly incomprehensible to me. There is going to be a significant learning curve and I need to keep reminding myself of the idea that has been reiterated by our district technology leaders: 

The curriculum should drive the use of technology, not vice versa.

If I keep this thought front and center in my mind I will be able to navigate these changes smoothly and gracefully. I was fortunate enough to receive a smartboard a few years ago and I can't imagine teaching without one now. I have tirelessly worked to make it an indispensable classroom tool for me and for my students. They use the smartboard frequently for historical primary source document analysis and I am proud of its use in my room as a learning device. If I apply this same methodology to the tablet implementation I will be able to grow and change with the technology available to me and my students.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku