Reinforcing the Classroom Community


Keeping virtual students connected is tougher than it seems. For a multitude of reasons it's an ongoing endeavor this year. While I will once again teach my LEGACY reflection this spring, my 8th Grade US colleague thought to connect LEGACY to George Washington's Farewell Address and, if today is any indication, it's now a powerful and authentic way to kick off this reflection.

My students tend to communicate in breakout rooms better when we are in hybrid mode (when students are in class and some are virtual). I don't know why this is but it might have something to do with school feeling more "real" when some students are in school. Regardless, it's on me to encourage and motivate students to talk to one another in breakout rooms every time. 

In a normal year communicating with peers in class happens fairly effortlessly, in breakout rooms it's so challenging. I continually move from breakout room to room, assigning leaders to introduce a topic (again, normally this would frustrate me that my students aren't taking on these roles, I push that thought aside because breakouts are a different environment--if I want talking to happen my assertiveness is a must). 

I introduced the rough draft of their personal Farewell Address, and placed students in large breakout rooms. I then went into each room to assign students to lead the parts of the speech (tips for younger grades in or entering Middle School, reflections, and hope for the future of our school). 



The discussions were some of the best all year! The kids were engaged and working together to remember what clubs and activities they took part in during 6th and 7th Grades, and gave each other examples of advice they would possibly write about in their speech. I was so impressed and excited to hear them really interacting and engaging with one another.

Students wrote bullet point ideas in each section and will submit for a grade. We will go through the LEGACY reflection and then revisit our rough drafts (when they're submitted it's like I have "collected" their work--they can't lose or misplace these drafts) to compose their individual 8th Grade Farewell Address in the spring! Erika and I are now exploring ideas as to how to give these speeches an authentic audience.

Taking time for what matters in the classroom is important, this year it's critical. Working together leads to success, this is true for teachers and for students. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku