Patience and Grace

We wrapped up our National History Day projects this week and had our last in-class work days. I continually met with students, whether virtually in breakouts or talking to in-seat students to check in and see if they needed any assistance. 

This year, more than any other, we truly worked on this project one piece at a time. I am so proud of this because my Historians needed a clear-cut approach more than ever. 

As I introduced the main project I reminded students they already had completed all of the requirements, it was just a matter of putting it together, whether they create a documentary, website, or exhibit. (In a normal year I, truth be told, dissuade my students from completing an exhibit, unless they work in a group. The rules have changed and NHD this year is allowing digital exhibits, which essentially is a Powerpoint/Keynote. I have encouraged the vast majority of my classes to complete an exhibit this year.)

Early in Second Quarter students developed a Context Organizer. This provided them the opportunity to zoom into their topic of study, as well as research the background and perspectives related to their topic. The next big step was the DECODE organizer, which moved them closer to a deeper analysis of the historical significance of their topic. 

The Thesis Organizer was their first Third Quarter grade and my favorite part. This showed students how to create an argumentative historical thesis. Each of the three organizers also reinforced this year's theme, Communication is the Key to Understanding. Students needed to refer to and relate to the theme in each step.

Early this week it became clear that my students were worrying about creating THE PROJECT. I felt their relief when reminding them that, due to their sustained efforts, they were basically already done with the project, especially if they create an exhibit. It was apparent once again how much my students have changed due to our new normal. 

I do not want my students to be anxious about assignments in my class. As much as I want them to appreciate and enjoy our work, my students' health and well-being comes first. Nothing we learn about in class is as important. 

The only reason I am able to challenge them to the level we're working at is because they do know I care. They understand the work comes second. Patience and grace for all is carrying us through this school year.

My National Board renewal portfolio is going slowly but surely. I recorded three classroom video segments this week but, after viewing them, I'm less confident they're going to work. I have areas I need to shore up before trying again. Ugh. Back to the drawing board. I'm really glad I (re)started early, I'll need all of the time I can get to complete it. Patience and grace for myself, too, is necessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku