Need to Meet Students Where They're At

We moved on from our National History Day work and started to discuss the new nation and the first President. We also are continually spending time on Black History Month activities. Students created a "Snapchat story" with 4 story components on the life of a notable historic figure. While these activities were well received and students worked well I've noticed a slower pace for students. I'm not sure if it's due to the winter blahs or not but the need for a four day weekend became evident at the end of the week. The need for rest and renewal is strong.
Next week we will use some of my favorite materials and explore one (edited) song from the musical "Hamilton". "Cabinet Battle #1" is fun, but helps me explain critical, but traditionally less-exciting topics in our study: the foundations of a two-party system (Hamilton and Jefferson) and Hamilton's financial plan--the compromise between the Northern states and Southern states that leads to the creation of Washington DC. Every year I've taught with the song I've had the students create blackout poetry. It's such a fun and creative activity and an intellectual challenge for them! This year I realize I cannot possibly teach blackout poetry to my mostly virtual students. I'm all up for a challenge but blackout poetry must be taught face-to-face if it's to be done successfully, and most of my students have never created these poems before.  I haven't yet figured out what we'll do with the song. 

I also need to possibly plan for asynchronous learning--I'm fortunate to be receiving my second vaccine dose this Wednesday afternoon. With any luck I can teach Thursday, but it's wise to prepare either way. 

My National Board Renewal has been slow but I thankfully do believe my two videos will work for my portfolio. That's an incredible relief and much-needed progress. I'm going to spend the bulk of my weekend editing and writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku