Memories of an Impactful Teacher

I found out that my 8th Grade Homeroom teacher passed away this week. This made me think back to all that I remembered about her.

For years she was the teacher I'd always hoped I'd get when I was in 8th Grade (I went to a 1st-8th Grade school so I'd known of her for many years)--she was smart, fun, artistic, printed so neatly, and always dressed so nicely. I was fortunate (so was my twin--we were in her homeroom, together for the first time in our school career) to find myself in her room. What struck me, though, once I was in her class, was how much she cared about teaching and her students. I learned so much about Science from her but, more importantly, I learned how to lead.

I was a shy, awkward teen but she saw my potential. I earned a leadership role and went to a 2nd grade classroom everyday that year to help with lunch and recess. I never saw myself as a teacher but she did and that experience probably laid the groundwork for my career today. The irony, though, is that I am a Secondary Educator, teaching the same grade she taught. I strive everyday to treat my students with the same care and compassion she did. Thanks for everything, Ms. Matyok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National History Day--First Impressions

National History Day School Event

Growth and Change Thematic Assessment Spark Video Examples