Supporting Students during Hybrid Learning

 


One of the bright spots this year is the opportunity to offer individualized help to students in a different format on a regular basis. It's called Student Support and runs four days a week after school. This is the chance for students to ask questions and for me to reteach concepts in a small group or individual setting on Zoom. I will regularly check for missing work or low grades on assignments, then either individually chat students that are virtual or email in-seat students to encourage them to attend (so as not to call students out in front of their peers). I have a decent amount attending most days. 

Students will sometimes attend because they say it's a good place to still feel like they're in school and work, even if it's in a breakout room. I encourage them to turn off other devices and set aside time for them to take care of school responsibilities. (Devices and other distractions are a huge issue, as you can imagine.)

I feel it's important for me to keep track of which students are and are not attending to have a record for parents and for myself, but I wasn't consistent about it--often writing attendance lists on scrap paper or keeping track mentally, when I finally came up with a solution that is really working well.

I printed out a blank class roster for each class (getting my attendance program to make a grid is honestly such a challenge that I just drew lines with a ruler). I chat or email students to attend Support and make a pencil mark so that I know who I've contacted. If and when students attend I write in the date with a marker.

This system has been very helpful in two weeks I've used it. These specific details are already beneficial for me as I clearly see who needs more intervention and who has been taking initiative to attend. I wish I'd thought of it sooner, but at least it's in place now.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku