The Significance of Student Choice

 My students' National History Day projects are coming along, better than expected, if I'm honest. There are a few factors that are definitely helping--these students created projects last year in their Ancient Civilizations class. How fortunate that our 7th Grade teachers saw the value in these projects last year! It makes this undertaking less daunting for these now 8th Graders. It's just as challenging a project, but my students know what to expect and that makes a huge difference.

The wealth of incredible resources from the National History Day and state History Day organizations make my role run so much more smoothly. These historians help teachers focus on guiding our students through their studies and I couldn’t do it without their help.

Another factor is that the foundation has been set and my students understand I am there to support them. The student-centered classroom I strive for every year has been replicated as much as possible in the virtual environment. I am so grateful for this. My students know I will have patience and grace with them and that they matter as people, not just students. We have focused on gratitude, goal setting, and finding points of pride in our work. One of the biggest worries teachers have had this school year was how the classroom relationship would be impacted in virtual, hybrid, and changing schedules. I'm humbled to say that I think we are in pretty good shape, and I know I can respectfully challenge my students to think deeper and work, with them knowing that I respect their efforts. 

The biggest reason for our successes is that National History Day projects can be honed to represent student interests. Students have an incredible amount of distractions to overcome this school year. Technology, family obligations, worries, news, and lack of time with friends are just some of the many factors competing for the attention of the students in my classes. We've talked about all of their big and little successes this year. Even getting up some days and turning on their cameras for school can be a victory in itself, especially if students are struggling. They really need to find passion in their learning, now more than ever. 

Encouraging my students to think outside of the box with their project topics is something I began to focus on a few years ago, I believe now that focus prepared me for this year, with all of its extra challenges. It would have been understandable if we took a year off from teaching this project this year but I realize again and again, as I go in and out of student breakout rooms, how they're learning skills that will serve these students throughout their lives. They are learning about social studies through the lens of Maya Angelou, Rodney King, the Black Sox Scandal, the Korean War, or Ford Motor Company's 5 Dollar Day. They are creating historical argumentative thesis statements, and will be finding primary source documents to prove their statements. They are identifying and analyzing several perspectives of an event and searching for examples of communication (or miscommunication). It's so encouraging to see these youngsters grow as learners through the depth of analysis they're taking on. They're learning more about the past, and more about themselves. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku