Committed to the "Why"


At the start of the school year I reminded myself to focus on the "WHY"s this year. Now that we are at the end of first quarter it's time to take stock. 

Building community is a central focus, especially now. Calling each student by name when they enter our virtual or physical classroom is important. We frequently discuss norms for breakout rooms (this is actually a much bigger issue than in the physical class) and I give students specific activities while in breakouts, along with deciding which student leads each part of our activity. (Not giving students the option to choose who should lead is helpful for students--they can just get started on tasks, rather than wait for someone to take initiative. Taking initiative is something I would emphasize if we were all in-seat, it's something that will most likely come with time in the virtual environment.) This has really helped students to work together and they're getting more comfortable and staying on-task. I rotate through the breakout rooms and they know I could enter at any point. That also helps! :) 

Being mindful of doing quality work, not quantity work, is critical. We are all going through a challenging situation. Being on-screen and learning in block schedules with 90 minute classes isn't easy. Headaches and screen fatigue are real for all of us (me included). My students have less homework and I really try to make learning as fun and interesting as possible, while maintaining rigor (not simple to do). We are working with iCivics and Stanford History Education resources a lot. The Race to Ratify simulation students completed is a perfect example. Students had to persuade citizens in all 13 states to ratify the Constitution, using reasoning and persuasive arguments. These solid activities provide skills practice and simulations that the students enjoy and experiences they will remember.

My students are creating a Gratitude Journal again this year. Finding bright spots in our lives brings more happiness and contentment--things that are critical now. This snowball effect is what we all need these days. I will not read the journal and I'm encouraging students to challenge themselves to write different people, memories, things, and ideas each class period. I am hoping they will see the value in this exercise.

There have been many encouraging moments this quarter. The discussions, insights, and efforts I've seen from my students keep me going and give me renewed hope for next quarter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku