Getting Ready

 

The 2020-2021 school year is ready to begin. We teachers report back next week, our students the week after. I have been very, very quiet this summer because of all that is happening in our world. If I'm honest, I'm usually the one to make small talk or fill in the space when there is a lull in conversations (that's for better or worse--my intentions are good, though).

This summer has changed all of that.

I've spent these months listening and starting to process the multitude of events that have changed our country and our world--stepping back has helped me to somewhat prepare for this school year. Educators are called to be flexible, more flexible than ever before. With everything happening and changing fast I must pull back, quiet myself, and think. I must make time for this solitude this year. Thankfully this week has helped me feel more ready to start the year than I thought I would be. 

I went in to organize my classroom. It felt good to refresh the space. It was a priority for me, to have control over the aesthetics of this room I've spent so many years in. I've also been going through files, some that have been with me since I started teaching 25 years ago. I've reread student letters, lesson plans, and pre-internet magazine clippings I found to share with my students as we learned material, along with many primary source documents. It's been quite a journey through some of the best parts of my career, filled with reminders of wonderful classes, coworkers, and events.


I've also been re-energized as I collaborate with colleagues. These women, the future of my profession, are inspiring me and as we bounce ideas off of one another I realize that my "why" of teaching has not and will not change, no matter what the next weeks, months, or semesters may bring. 

Our students will create National History Day projects once again this year. If a pandemic won't stop me from teaching NHD, nothing will. It is Genius Hour for my students--this is the "why" of my teaching. We will figure out the specifics together, as a learning team, one step at a time. 

Best wishes for you as you begin your year.
 

Comments

  1. I always loved how you organized and decorated your room. Miss you and I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! Your name shows as "unknown", please feel free to contact me.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku