This Week in NHD

I've been trying to come up with a way to update our National History Day journey when the name jumped out at me--I suddenly remembered "This Week in Baseball", a sports show I used to watch with my Grandpa when I was a kid. (Google it for some great baseball memories!) "This Week in NHD" it is!
I met with all 8th Grade US History students again yesterday and we completed a few business tasks--we logged onto NoodleTools, the website that will help us organize our sources and ideas this year, joined the Schoology 8th Grade NHD Group I made for all 8th Graders so that I can easily send every student, not just my students, information and resources, gave a brief overview of the project this year, and shared the Symbaloo Webmix I created for them. 

This Webmix is going to become an essential resource. The necessary resources are all in a user-friendly format, color-coded and organized for ease of use. I will add tiles to the mix as the need arises and I look forward to student suggestions and comments on ways to improve it.

Students also began research on possible topic ideas. I stressed using encyclopedias and reference books to get a brief overview of topics to see if they find a subject interesting enough to dive deeper into or not. 

Students once again surprised me with their thinking and ideas. One Student Historian would like to possibly create a project around the history of American comedy! I think she might be onto something and my role is to support her as she learns about the topic and tries to find primary sources to support a claim related to the theme of Conflict and Compromise. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Industrial Revolution Haiku

Name That Executive Role!