Student-Created Task Lists

I value the use of checklists. They help me to organize and prioritize my life roles and there's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment when I check off my tasks as completed! I have created checklists for students dozens of times in my career--they help to make big projects more manageable and make expectations clear. I had an epiphany yesterday, though, as I was planning my Genius Hour/National History Day activities for students:

I need to have students create their own checklists.

If my one of my goals for National History Day projects is to give students the opportunity to create a project of their own choosing why am I deciding how they organize and plan their workdays? It was well-intended but I realized when they prioritize their tasks they will truly be in charge of their learning experience.

I gave each student a process checklist, emphasized looking at the contest rules, and then each student received a blank checklist to turn in a the end of the hour. (I will hold onto their lists and return them next week so that they can...create a new checklist.) 

Give students the opportunity to organize their own work...Check!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Perspective and Peel the Fruit Thinking Routine

Name That Executive Role!

Industrial Revolution Haiku